User Interface (UI) Designer
If you're an awesome UI designer, we think SEP is the place for you.
We are seeking a UI Designer to join our design team to craft awesome software products that users will love. SEP is in a transition to provide the same excellence in product design as it historically has had in its engineering, and we want you to be involved.
As a UI Designer, you’ll participate on multiple project teams of varying contexts. You’ll work alongside software engineers, product managers, UX designers, and end users to produce and present relevant designs to our customers. Whether it is a sketch or a high fidelity mockup, we need someone who is creative and passionate about design for software products.
We work on several different products, in different domains, with different clients, so be prepared for variety. You’ll need to accept ambiguity – sometimes we need to build design solutions without much context. It’s also vital that you know how to design for mobile, tablets, browsers and the desktop.
Mission of a UI Designer
You'll be primarily responsible for crafting, producing, and maintaining all product visual design assets, artifacts, and documentation of a product solution. They will ideate the product solution with key members of the product development team in fast-paced, build-measure-learn cycles. They will also be expected to work with multiple product development teams concurrently.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Collaborate with IxD/UX designers, researchers, clients, project managers, product managers, end users, and software engineers to ensure designs clearly support the product’s business and user goals
- Partner with teams to conceptualize and design excellent product outcomes
- Take product design concepts such as sketches or wireframes to build high fidelity comps with a focus on strengthening the overall experience
- Work with business users/customers, as well as internal teammates to co-create visual designs
- Articulate ideas and designs effectively to teams to clearly communicate the design intention and its value
- Partner with software engineers to create pixel perfect designs
- Be the keeper of brand look-and-feel across projects to manage visual consistency
- Craft UI elements and assets that adapt and flow with responsive design frameworks, as well as mobile applications
- Understand, conceptualize, and implement designs across multiple platforms, including web, mobile and third-party app integration
- Be able to handle multiple projects, while embodying the work ethic and personality that thrives in a fast-paced organization with tight deadlines and shifting priorities
- Prioritize and manage your own workload as defined by product teams
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience designing for software and complex applications which use emergent technologies, consumer electronics and/or mobile devices using the latest operating systems for iOS and Android
- Bachelor’s in Visual Communications, Media Arts and Science (BA or BS), or related field or equivalent experience preferred
- Understanding and awareness of how design evolves – we want you to understand what is feasible to create with current technologies and be aware of emerging trends
- Understand current design guidelines (e.g. Responsive frameworks, Apple’s HIG and Google Material Design) and usability heuristics (e.g. Nielsen’s 10 heuristics)
- Exceptional design skills, production quality, and attention to detail with focus on overall concept/vision, layout, typography, and usability
- Strong background creating product documentation, prototypes, and deliverables using Sketch, Zeplin, and InVision as your design tools. Additionally, experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, and Axure is needed.
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience designing for Internet of Things (IoT)
- Understanding of Agile, Lean, Kanban, and Lean Start-Up methodologies
- HTML and CSS (basic front end development skills)
Are you a fit? Apply now and find out!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Know what you are looking for in an employer
- Be ready to show off your portfolio
- Be ready to talk us through your thought processes
- Come prepared to interview us
Our interviews are long, intensive, and collaborative. You will be engaging with SEP project managers and employees. But what is an interview really like? If we told you everything, that would ruin the fun.