Do Something: Love Letters
Project 1: Do Something: Love Letters
Don’t stop reading because of the project name – this isn’t as schmookie face as you think. DoSomething.Org is a cool organization for teens and they’ve challenged people to bring a smile to an older adult in their community on Valentine’s Day. Through a partnership with Wheeler Mission, they asked for homemade cards to be sent to their various locations so they can deliver cards with their Meals on Wheels program.
There are about 6.5 million older adults that are suffering from depression this winter. This tugs at my heart having older grandparents who don’t have the ability to live with each other any longer and I can’t imagine the loneliness they must feel on a daily basis.
A lack of social connections (which can be re-phrased as loneliness or isolation) is as comparable a risk factor for early death as smoking 15 cigarettes a day and is worse for individuals than other well-known risk factors such as obesity and physical inactivity.
Doing something good for others no matter how small is a part of what we do at SEP.
- Create a Valentine’s Day Card and get it to me by February 7, 2014.
- If you have kids, get them involved! Who doesn’t love the creativity of a child? You can use this guide to help them design the card.
- Fellow Hoosiers: you can get the cards to me at my office.
- For my out of state readers, check here to see where you can send your cards
- If this isn’t your thing and you don’t make a card, you can still do something. Call an elderly person and check in on them. This can make a difference.
There is so much we each can do to make an impact. It won’t take much time – get crafty and I’ll do the rest.